Willen Hospice is a registered charity that provides specialist care for people, 18 years and over, whose illness no longer responds to curative treatment (also known as specialist palliative care).
Through their team of dedicated staff and volunteers they can give direct support to the patient and their family, should they so wish, to help deal with their physical, social, emotional and spiritual pain.
They are looking at expanding their volunteer team by recruiting Patient and Family Supporters. As a Patient and Family Support Volunteer you will be required to offer emotional support to either, patients and their carers or young people who are family members of patients known to the Hospice, both pre and post bereavement.
Volunteers will need to demonstrate that you can:
- Communicate effectively, particularly demonstrating excellent listening skills
- Be able to perform well in emotional and stressful situations
- Be flexible in approach, able to volunteer up to 10 hours a month (mainly on weekdays), to meet with clients and attend monthly supervision and any necessary training
In return Willen Hospice will offer:
- Extensive training, ongoing support and monthly supervision
- The opportunity to join a friendly team who provide an invaluable service to patients and their families in the community and at the Hospice
- Access to a range of benefits offered to all colleagues
For more information volunteers are invited to attend one of the following information sessions at Willen Hospice:
Thursday 18th February at 12pm or Monday 22nd February at 6pm
To help them gauge numbers, please contact them in advance advising of the session you would like to attend. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Voluntary Services Department on 01908 306997 to register your interest.
Attendance will be welcomed from anyone over the age of 25 from all sections of the community though, regrettably, they will not be able to consider applicants who have had a significant bereavement in the past 2 years.
Want to find out more about other opportunities? Here’s how to get started.
Contact us at Community Action: MK on 01908 661623 or email email@example.com to register your details.
Alternatively, to find out more about other opportunities within the Milton Keynes area come along to our weekly drop in session on a Thursday at Acorn House in CMK from 10 am – 12 noon or log onto the National Database of Voluntary Opportunities www.do-it.org