Applications for British Science Week 2018 are now open.
The mission of the British Science Week Community Grant Scheme is to expand the audiences that engage with science and self-identify as having an interest in science by empowering and supporting community groups to run their own science activities during British Science Week (9-18 March 2018).
The scheme offers £500-£1000 grants for community groups that work directly with audiences who are traditionally under-represented and currently not engaged in science activity. Our definition of groups that are underrepresented in science includes:
- people who are Black Asian Minority Ethnic (BAME)
- people with low socioeconomic status (SES), including people disadvantaged in terms of education and income
- young people facing adversity, including those not in education, employment or training (NEET)
- people with a disability, defined as a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term effect on someone’s ability to do normal daily activities (Equalities Act 2010)
- people living in a remote and rural location, defined as settlements of less than 10,000 people
- girls and women
Note: community grants cannot be used for events or activities with school groups unless they are a special needs school. For school activities, the schools themselves, if they meet the eligibility criteria, should apply for our Kick Start Grants.
For additional information, you can read our 2017 infographic and evaluation report, available on this page. You can also read our case studies, where community grant recipients discuss their experiences and the impact of the grant on themselves, their audiences and their organisations.
Applying for a grant is simple, but make sure to read the Community Grant Guidelines 2018 carefully to give your application the best chance.
To apply fill in our online application form. All applications for British Science Week 2018 grants will close on 13 November 2017 at 12 noon.
If you have any questions, please contact the British Science Association: firstname.lastname@example.org