Building Bridges MK is a volunteer run organisation which provides supplementary education for young refugees in Milton Keynes that have been referred to us by the British Red Cross. We provide transitional English and Maths support in their own homes for 4-6 months.
Our aim is to provide basic English and Maths support for newly arrived children to build their confidence in communicating and integrating in school. No prior teaching experience is required. A full induction will be provided, and your initial session will be attended by a member of the administrative team as part of your training.
Once volunteers are inducted, we provide teaching resources and lesson guides which are aligned to the National Curriculum.
A volunteer’s role includes:
• Attending induction and mandatory training sessions;
• Being aware of Building Bridges Milton Keynes’ policies (Safeguarding, Health and Safety, Volunteer Policy etc.);
• Completing Safeguarding training within 3 months of commencing role and Prevent training upon registration;
• Providing DBS check and any relevant updates;
• Planning and teaching engaging lessons with the children based on the Building Bridges Milton Keynes’ Lesson Guide; and
• Recording Progress on a Learning Log after each session.
Support is always readily available through contacting any of the management committee members.