Weekly Bulletin for the Voluntary and Community Sector in Milton Keynes
Thank you to everyone who made last Friday’s GATHER networking event such a success! Here’s a little review and what comes next…
Is your board or committee working well but could do with a little refresh of your practices? Come along to our Introduction to Governance next Wednesday and get top tips on easy ways to do this. Book now!
Could your group do with a hand? Staff at intu are looking to volunteer. Contact Lucie Rose directly on 01908 557017 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Milton Keynes Community Car Raffle is back for its 30th year this year!
Last year sellers sold an amazing 21,940 tickets raising an incredible £21,940, with groups retaining at least 50% of the funds raised from ticket sales.
If you haven’t already signed up, but would like to take part this year and raise funds for your group, please register your interest here.
Milton Keynes Community Foundation’s
#vitalsigns2018 Report is now available. This year they have reported on, Disadvantage & Poverty, Education, Diversity & the Economy. Download your copy from their website now – get in touch with them for more copies for your Parish Council or Group http://ow.ly/Tkck30m4PM9
Spread the word about World Mental Health Day on 10th October and download resources from MK Council’s website.
The updated version of the essential facts and figures about the UK charity sector at your fingertips, including statistics on volunteering, donations, size of the sector and more. Take a look at the 10 key figures below and download the full article for more:
10 key facts
- There are 880,000 paid employees in the charity sector
- There are 168,000 registered charities in the UK, nearly 90% of which have an annual income below £500K
- The total income of all charities combined is about £48 billion. This is higher than the Higher Education sector, and about £10 billion less than Tesco.
- The voluntary sector contributes approximately £15.3bn to UK GVA – more than the arts or agriculture.
- The value of formal volunteering in the UK is around £22.6bn
- Individuals account for almost half of the sector’s total income
- The median for the 100 highest paid positions is £185K per annum
- Charities have over 10 regulators
- Charities fund almost half of all medical research in the UK
- 35% of the total voluntary sector workforce work in the social care subsector.
Board Trustees Call Out
MÓTUS is a charity based in Milton Keynes who are dedicated to providing high quality dance experiences for all. MÓTUS have been operating since 2013 and are supported by the Arts Council England, Milton Keynes Council and the MK Community Foundation. The charity also has strong relationships with key organisations across Milton Keynes including the MK Gallery, Milton Keynes Education Partnership and the Arts and Heritage Alliance alongside many more. To date MÓTUS have produced four annual festivals commissioning artists from across the UK and internationally to work with and provide opportunities for the communities of Milton Keynes and beyond. MÓTUS have also received commissions across the UK to produce work for performance and are the creators of Jump Start and Adjustments supporting youth dance opportunities across the sector and new works in preparation for touring.
MÓTUS are seeking new board members.
More information: http://www.motusdance.co.uk Charity No: 1173277
Purpose of the role
- To ensure the administrative affairs of the organisation are conducted within legal requirements
- To ensure that Trustee Board meetings are properly administratively serviced. This includes taking and communicating minutes to include recording actions, decisions, policies and communications and reporting these to the board of trustees.
- Ensure the Board fulfils its administrative responsibilities.
- Deal with Trustee Board correspondence and keep adequate records of this for reporting.
- Keep a check on the progress of work as agreed by the Trustee Board.
- Ensure the Trustee Board meets its legal obligations, including reporting.
- Meeting charity and company law and insurance requirements .
- Make arrangements for Trustee Board meetings.
- Receive agenda items and prepare the agenda with the Chair and team of Directors.
- Ensure the circulation of agendas, previous minutes, and papers, prior to meetings.
- Ensure that any Trustee Board members who have been given tasks know what it is they have been asked to do.
- Check that action has been taken following decisions at previous meetings.
- Ensure members are informed of the AGM and any Extraordinary or Special Meetings.
- Ensure the Annual Report is written and produced and sent to relevant bodies.
- Ensure the proper administration of Trustee Board meetings
- Ensure the Chair signs the minutes of the previous meeting once approved by the Trustee Board
It is essential that the Company Secretary:
- has a knowledge of administrative procedures
- has the ability to write clearly
- has the ability to progress chase in a coaching rather than an autocratic manner
- has the ability to provide clear advice on procedural and relevant legislative matters.
To Apply: Please email email@example.com with ‘Company Secretary’ in the subject heading.
Board members with specialisms in law, business, communication and advocacy are required. If being part of a charitable board is something you might like to experience and you think you can offer some time and help a young charity to grow then please do get in touch by e-mailing: firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Board Role’ in its title.