Are you looking for an opportunity to support an MK-based charity? Willen Hospice, a charity which provides specialist end of life care to adult patients and support for their families, are looking to add a new member to their Board. Becoming a trustee can be a great way to enhance your CV, build networks, and make a difference in your community.
Read Willen Hospice’s guest blog for more on their rewarding voluntary role:
Opportunity for a Property trustee to join the Board of Willen Hospice
Willen Hospice is looking for a new trustee to join the board who will bring their skills, enthusiasm, and in particular knowledge of property matters, to the heart of our organisation.
We are a Milton Keynes based charity, highly regarded, and well established in the local community. A new extension to the Hospice has recently opened and we employ 200 staff, manage 14 shops and over 1000 volunteers. The Board currently consists of 11 members who bring a wealth of knowledge and experience of working in the commercial and charity sectors.
Our vision at Willen Hospice, is to be the lasting and thriving provider of free care to all people affected by life limiting illness in our community of Milton Keynes and surrounding areas. The Willen Hospice Values are important to us and are at the heart of everything we do: Compassion, Ambition, Respect and Excellence.
This is a voluntary role.
If you have a solid background of working at a strategic level in a commercial property environment and feel able to commit to the Willen Hospice vision and values, we would love to talk to you about the trustee role and the work that we do.
- Demonstrate a strong and visible passion and commitment to the charity, its strategic objectives, and overall aims.
- Exhibit strong interpersonal and relationship building abilities and be comfortable challenging as well as offering support when required.
- Ability to foster and promote a collaborative working environment.
- Be an ‘expert by experience’ with a good grasp of current best practice in your specialist field.
What we offer
- The opportunity to make a real difference and be part of a great team.
- A comprehensive induction programme.
- Broaden your skills, knowledge and expertise working alongside a diverse range of professionals.
- Enhance your CV.
- 10 meetings a year: 6 in the morning attending the Property Working Group and 4 early evening attending Council of Management. Attend other committee meetings by invitation or as an observer.
- Time to attend a couple of events each year.
- Attend at least one of the three trustee away mornings each year.
- Our meetings are held face to face on occasion we are happy to accommodate remote attendance.
Trustees serve up to a 10-year term and are eligible for re-appointment for 3 additional years.
The Board of Trustees is responsible for overseeing the leadership, management and administration of the charity working closely with the senior team. On occasion, trustees will need to have the ability to balance their role as a team player with that of critical friend to challenge and scrutinise performance.
If you are interested in playing this important role on our Board of Trustees, please send your application to Margaret Dovies, Margaret.Dovies@willen-hospice.org.uk PA to the CEO with your CV/ summary of your experience. All applicants are subject to an advanced disclosure check before commencing their Trustee role. Interviews will be held with the CEO, Chair and a third member of the board. Candidates will have opportunity to visit the Hospice prior to interview.
We are particularly looking to improve our diversity as a Board and so welcome applicants from a range of different backgrounds but particularly those from an ethnic minority group as Willen is currently underrepresented in this area.
Qualities Required for Trustee Post (Property)
|Essential Qualities||Desirable Qualities|
|Knowledge and Experience|
|Experience of working with performance and monitoring targets|
|Sound experience in Commercial Estate Management with particular emphasis on Landlord and Tenant relationships||Knowledge of retail market in relation to acquisitions, lease renewals and rent reviews|
|RICS or equivalent qualification.||Minimum 5 years post qualification experience|
|Experience of general facilities management||Experience of Health and Safety Legislation|
|Experience of Project Management Principles and risk management||Experience of construction projects|
|Personal Qualities and Skills|
Strong sense of Integrity
Strong Interpersonal skills