Are you a young person looking for a volunteer opportunity?Here are some options for you to explore:
Local groups and programmes
- Volunteering opportunities with The Parks Trust, including the Youth Ranger volunteering role, which may be suitable for the volunteering section of your Duke of Edinburgh award.
- MK Libraries may be able to offer volunteering opportunities for those working towards their DofE award, though a waiting list is often in operation.
- Activities available through Girlguiding MK and Scouts MK
- The NCS (National Citizenship Service) programme and other opportunities for your people offered by Action4Youth (see on action4youth.org/youth-groups)
- Opportunities listed on the Youth Cabinet MK site here, including some ideas for the local activities and groups (see here).
- Contacting the local community centre to see if there are any opportunities available (there might be volunteering opportunities directly at your local centre or they will also likely have links to the local groups and projects). You can look up a list of community centres here.
- Exploring opportunities at the local charity shops (e.g. Age UK, Willen Hospice – can support children from age 14 – there may be some more shops in your local area for you to investigate).
- Buckingham Canal Society support DofE volunteering, young people over the age of 14 may participate in work parties when accompanied by an adult.
With any of the charities or community groups you approach, you will need to check directly with them what their minimum age-requirements are for their volunteering roles.
Do-It Volunteering Platform (age minimum: 16yr+)
We’d encourage you to visit our Do-It volunteering platform where lots of local volunteering roles and opportunities are listed, where you can sign up and create a DOIT pass. This will allow you to browse through the various volunteering roles in MK, you can then ‘Register my Interest’ in the roles that you would like to get involved in.
You can take a look at the videos on our website that help guide you through the setting up process, if you have other questions or would like extra support please just email us.
Once you are signed up on Do-IT, organisations would then be able to contact you directly to discuss the next steps and share additional information. The site also offers space to ask questions, share your experiences and see local events etc.
You can also sign up to our mailing list here, where we advertise volunteering opportunities in Milton Keynes and the surrounding areas every week!