- Fossil Free OU is back – The movement at the Open University has been developing for a while, but this year students at the OU are calling for the Careers and Employability department to completely divest from fossil fuels! You can follow them on social media to stay up to date: https://www.facebook.com/FossilFreeOU / https://twitter.com/GoFossilFreeOU / https://www.instagram.com/fossilfreeou/ or visit their campaign page to find out more and sign their petition!
- Garfield Western Foundation – ‘Prioritising Our Planet’ UK wide report looking at the issues facing environmental non-profits and what is causing the lack of funding applications, changes that are needed within grant funding and what’s causing the issues within the sector. Take a look for insights and learning. (Oct 20)
- ‘Not Personal Enough: Why Climate Change is not yet a top priority‘ – In wealthy countries, relatively few people feel affected by climate threats – but that won’t last…’ (Oct 20)
- David Attenborough: A life on Our Planet – Documentary Trailer – (Oct 20)
- UN World Food Programme wins 2020 Nobel Peace Prize, as hunger mounts (Oct 20)
- Coronavirus: Why scientists have warned COVID lockdowns will not stop Climate change (Sep 20)
Take action from your home:
- The Big Green Climate Week – 18th – 26th September 2021, In September communities across the country will join together for the Great Big Green Week. It will be the biggest event for climate and nature ever in the UK, and everyone’s invited. YOU can get involved now!
- Looking at different ways people can compost
- Free information service about suistainability and suistainable living
- Tips and how to plant seeds to grow your own – could be a good activity to try at home!
Climate Change & MK Council
MK Youth Cabinet have been voicing how the youth of MK are not happy with the current state of our planet – listen to this powerful video made by them and calls for us to all pledge what we will do to save #OurPlanetOurHome – Make your pledges now, there’s no time to wait.
What will you do?
MK Council Task and Finish Group:
We submitted a report that complied the views, worries and opinions of residents across MK who had responded to our Climate Change Survey this was invaluable insight into what action people want to see taken as well as how they are being impacted now and worry they might be in the future. You can take a look at our report here. We want to thank all of those who participated.
At the beginning of March the council finished gathering insight from a range of organisations who had fed into the Task and Finish group. These groups provided evidence, ideas and plans relating to Milton Keynes becoming greener and achieving MKC goals of being carbon neutral. You can look at the evidence from those who participated in the Council’s Task and Finish group here.
MK Councils 2019-2050 Sustainable Strategy. This explores various priorities and considerations that need to be taken to achieve Milton Keynes aim of being the ‘Greenest City’. The community has a vital role to play in terms of this agenda. Through supporting and participating in aims, as well as holding the Council to account in terms of moving towards greener objectives and prioritising sustainability.
Learn about climate change and the climate emergency
Key Principles of Climate Change
Learn about the science of climate change, the risks it poses and how human activity is changing our world.
Climate Change courses, free online course from: Future Learn & UN Climate Change Learning to Action course
World Scientists declare climate emergency
“The best news is that there is still time for people, policy makers and the business community to make the necessary changes to ensure that future generations can enjoy living on planet earth, our only home”.
What can you do?
Investigate how you could make changes…
- The Gigantic Change – Your guide to taking action on climate change
- WWF – 10 things you can do
- The Guardian – 50 easy ways to save the planet
- DW – 8 Ways you can help the environment in 2020
- Earth Day – 12 New Year’s Resolutions
- – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – get your recycling right by taking a look at MK council’s guide of what goes where – getting it right means we don’t contaminate recyclable rubbish
- – Reuse Community Project MK – this organisation takes unwanted things and sells them, Operating as a not for profit and trying to ensure everyone has access. https://reuse-mk.co.uk Waste removal is also offered.
- – Travel differently, all different routes and ways to get around MK without the car! ‘Get Around MK https://getaroundmk.org.uk
- – Inform yourself and share with friends and family
- – Efficiency and Conservation: Just About Every Way to Save Energy at Home and in the Office There are some great tips on this site, Unity Home Group, an American based company. Where share tips and tricks for how you can reduce your energy bills. It’s great to make financial savings while also benefiting the planet. We especially liked the ease of switching light bulbs, using a cold wash and weatherising your home!
Take a look at ‘Facts about Compostable Bags‘. Putting your food waste in the green bin is a great way to help and having compostable bags makes it that bit easier.
Local groups and Organisations
These are some groups that are operating in MK that are looking at reducing the impact we have on the environment. They are happy to talk and share their experience. If you’re ready and curious about making some changes get in touch.
- Transition Town MK – The Transition movement is made up of vibrant, grassroots community initiatives that seek to build their community resilience in the face of such challenges as peak oil, climate change and the economic crisis.
- Friends of the Earth MK – The Milton Keynes Friends of the Earth (FOE) group works to protect the environment by participating in eco-campaigns at the national and international levels, sharing information with others and taking green action locally.
- Conscious Living MK – A local group that is looking to hear, learn and grown from residents input and support each other as you try to make changes, big or small. It is a learning and interactive space to share ideas and know that you can do something to help lessen your impact.
- Extinction Rebellion MK – Is an International movement that uses non-violent civil disobedience in an attempt to halt mass extinction and minimise the risk of social collapse.
- Wolverton Community Energy – A community benefit society, owned and run by our members. We are working with individuals and businesses in Wolverton and the wider Milton Keynes area to help them become more energy efficient and to reduce the amount of carbon they use.
- Milton Keynes Community Energy – A consortium of community led renewable energy projects sharing resources, knowledge and expertise. The call to meet climate change targets is stark and urgent. Our ambition is to help accelerate the response to these challenges across our city and our communities.
- Reuse Community Project MK – Not for profit community interest company that sells on furniture, goods, products. Some are brand new, some are preloved – this is a great way to ensure things aren’t being wasted.