Climate Change Survey Findings- sent to MK Council
We have submitted a report to MK Council that was produced from residents views and opinions collected in our Climate Change survey. We will share the report with you shortly and any response we get.
Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey, and if you have any further comments please share. You can get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org. Community Action: MK are invested in learning from residents about how we can support you and your communities.
Learn about climate change and the climate emergency
Key Principles of Climate Change
Learn about the science of climate change, the risks it poses and how human activity is changing our world. Free online course from Future Learn.
World Scientists declare climate emergency
“The best news is that there is still time for people, policy makers and the business community to make the necessary changes to ensure that future generations can enjoy living on planet earth, our only home”.
What can you do?
Join the Climate Change Task and Finish Group
Milton Keynes Council are undertaking a Climate Change Task and Finish Group. It’s purpose is to review the work currently being undertaken by the Council, to help them achieve the resolution to tackle the Climate Emergency and to meet the pledge to make Milton Keynes carbon neutral by 2030. There is a series of meetings scheduled between now and February 13th – all the information is here (https://milton-keynes.cmis.uk.com/milton-keynes/Committees/tabid/179/ctl/ViewCMIS_CommitteeDetails/mid/496/id/1293/Default.aspx)
The meetings are really interesting and very important – please come along if you can. Someone from Community Action: MK will be at each one.
You can look at MK Councils 2019-2050 Sustainable Strategy. This explores various priorities and considerations that need to be taken to achieve Milton Keynes aim of being the ‘Greenest City’. The community has a vital role to play in terms of this agenda. Through supporting and participating in aims, as well as holding the Council to account in terms of moving towards greener objectives and prioritising sustainability.
Local groups and Organisations
These are some groups that are operating in MK that are looking at reducing the impact we have on the environment. They are happy to talk and share their experience. If you’re ready and curious about making some changes get in touch.
- Transition Town MK – The Transition movement is made up of vibrant, grassroots community initiatives that seek to build their community resilience in the face of such challenges as peak oil, climate change and the economic crisis.
- Friends of the Earth MK – The Milton Keynes Friends of the Earth (FOE) group works to protect the environment by participating in eco-campaigns at the national and international levels, sharing information with others and taking green action locally.
- Conscious Living MK – A local group that is looking to hear, learn and grown from residents input and support each other as you try to make changes, big or small. It is a learning and interactive space to share ideas and know that you can do something to help lessen your impact.
- Extinction Rebellion MK – Is an International movement that uses non-violent civil disobedience in an attempt to halt mass extinction and minimise the risk of social collapse.
- Wolverton Community Energy – A community benefit society, owned and run by our members. We are working with individuals and businesses in Wolverton and the wider Milton Keynes area to help them become more energy efficient and to reduce the amount of carbon they use.
- Milton Keynes Community Energy – A consortium of community led renewable energy projects sharing resources, knowledge and expertise. The call to meet climate change targets is stark and urgent. Our ambition is to help accelerate the response to these challenges across our city and our communities.