Upcoming events to mark the one year anniversary of the war in Ukraine:
Refugee Response & Resources:
Community Action: MK is working hard to support groups that are directly supporting those fleeing conflict, violence and prejudice around the world and welcome people who chose to make Milton Keynes their home. Where possible, we provide direct supporting and signposting too. We have compiled a list of resources for groups and organisations supporting refugees and asylum seekers living in Milton Keynes and across the UK.
In light of the recent Illegal Immigration Bill, which has been described by many human rights organisations as an “the Anti-Refugee Bill”, you might find it useful read the latest briefing from British Institute of Human Rights on “What does the anti-refugee bill mean for people’s human rights?”. It is a guide that offers a plain language breakdown of human rights concerns with the bill, including around process, principles and a right-by-right analysis linked to specific clauses of the Bill.
Coordination of Refugee Support in Milton Keynes
We are currently bringing together the groups and organisations that have ben involved in the various refugee support and response campaigns in Milton Keynes over the years. We want to explore whether creating a network or organisation supporting any refugees that arrive in the City could create opportunities for collaboration and supporting our refugee communities in a holistic way. We want to scope out how this network could work and what resources are needed to make it happen. If you are interested in getting involved, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Initial meeting about the Refugee Support Coordination
On Wednesday 22nd March, we facilitated an initial meeting about the refugee support coordination across the city. We hosted a fantastic range of VCSE groups (that have been involved in providing refugee support and projects over the years), representatives of the local health services, and the Milton Keynes City Council. We would like to thank everyone for their input! We will be updating on the actions and next steps from this meeting soon, but in the meantime, you can see the feedback we have gathered so far through our interactive jamboard here. Look out for more updates, and do get in touch with us if you would like to get involved with the refugee support network – drop us a note at email@example.com.
Ways to get involved and get support
If your group or organisation would benefit from infrastructure support to enable you to adapt or expand your activities, so they can be offered to the refugee communities across the city (e.g.support with funding, volunteer recruitment, adapting volunteering roles for refugee communities, translation of your materials) – drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sector-wide and community event – summer 2023
We are holding a special Networking & Community Event on Wednesday 28th June 2023 at YMCA in Central Milton Keynes.
The event, which has been co-produced with local VCSE groups and with Eden Project Communities – as part of their Month of the Community campaign, will focus on supporting the local Refugee Communities in Milton Keynes. It will take place a week on from World Refugee Day on the 20th June.
The programme includes presentations from local groups directly supporting refugee communities as well as speakers with lived experience who will be sharing their stories of seeking sanctuary in MK.
There will also be a workshop to explore how support could be joined up and coordinated across the City, and a special live performance of the “Broken Wings” play, a project by Middle Eastern Cultural Group. Stalls, refreshments and other activities will be on offer too.
The event is open to those who work or volunteer for the local VCSE groups in Milton Keynes, particularly those interested in providing or expanding their services to the local refugee communities. The second part of the event will be open to the members of the refugee communities.
Find out more and register here.
- Ukraine Appeal CIO
- Help Ukraine/BAMK UK
- Welcome MK – Charity dedicated to supporting refugees and asylum seekers in Milton Keynes.
- Sanctuary Hosting – Housing charity supporting refugees and asylum seekers find safe housing in Milton Keynes
- Foodbank Xtra – Providing food to people in need in Milton Keynes
- MK Community Foundation – Offering small grant funding for groups supporting refugees & asylum seekers in Milton Keynes.
- Safety Centre – Provided a ‘Hazard Alley’ experience for newly arrived families.
- Community Action: MK Signposting Channels – Signpost list to groups and organisations in Milton Keynes.
- Care for Calais – Refugee crisis charity (national but has support group in MK); provides information in common languages; offers help with legal advice (such as asylum interview).
- Refugee Council
- City of Sanctuary UK
- Red Cross
- Citizens Advice
- Council of Faiths
- Migrant Help: offering free asylum helpline (0808 8010 503) the Clear Voice interpreting and translation service
- Asylum Speakers Podcast
- The Kind Place: We are Voices
- Report: Refugee Council report: Lives on hold, the experiences of people in hotel asylum accommodation. The report identifies a range of problems and challenges as a result of insufficient support provided in asylum hotels, giving an update on the situation for people living in hotels, with new information and evidence from the Refugee Council’s services as well as two Freedom of Information Requests.
Health Care & Mental Health Support:
- Registering with a GP:
- GMS1 Certificate – need GMS1 Certificate to register with a GP
- HC2 Certificate needed to apply for free health/dental care & Prescriptions (proves low income) – Fill out HC1 form first and post to address
- NHS Entitlements in England – government info
- Mind: Offering Mental Health Services, including trauma support
- Freedom from Torture – therapy for individuals & offer training for groups
- Mental Health: Migrant Health Guide (government)
- Zero Suicide Alliance – free training (videos) on suicide prevention & awareness
- City of Sanctuary – Mental Health Resource Pack
- Free Ukrainian, Polish, And Russian Translations Of Trauma And PTSD Psychoeducational Resources
- Sanctuary Foundation – Free e-learning course for people supporting refugees & people seeking asylum (including hosts for Homes for Ukraine Government scheme).
- How to claim asylum in UK
- Asylum Support – potential housing service/money whilst waiting to hear about asylum application outcome
- Afghanistan –
- Afghan citizens resettlement scheme
- Refugee Council – Support for Afghan refugees
To see resources dedicated to the specific refugee campaigns, please visit our dedicated pages below: