Due to the urgent situation for people fleeing Ukraine and arriving in Milton Keynes and across the UK, Community Action: MK are facilitating a coordinated response for local groups and organisations who want to help. The aim of this response is to ensure that vulnerable people arriving from Ukraine have access to the help and support they need the most.
Local organisations supporting Ukrainian refugees in Milton Keynes
- Ukraine Appeal CIO: a registered charity supporting the local Ukrainian community through a variety of routes, including meeting and events, the Ukrainian Supplementary School and a radio show (and more). Find out more from their website: https://ukraineappeal.org.uk. To support group as a volunteer, please see click here to find out more about their current volunteering vacancies.
Exciting news from Ukraine Appeal CIO
We are really excited to share the news from our friends at the Ukraine Appeal CIO, who are running A Ukrainian Art Exhibition at the Central Milton Keynes Library between the 11th March -11th April. You can find out more about it here. They’ve also started a new radio programme at Stony Radio and are looking for support with supplies (e.g. stationery) for the new supplementary school that is running on Saturdays at the Summerfield School – if you can support with donations or know/ are a local business that can, please contact them on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Help Ukraine/BAMK UK: an informal mutual aid group supporting the local Ukrainian community and providing help and support (including donations) in Ukraine. You can find out more and get involved y joining their Facebook group here.
See the list of other organisations supporting refugees on our main Refugee Page here.
There are currently two main ways for Ukrainian nationals to arrive in the UK:
- Ukraine Family Visa Scheme: Ukrainian nationals can currently apply for a visa if they already have family living in the UK.
- Homes for Ukraine: Ukrainian nationals can find hosts through the UK government Homes for Ukraine scheme. UK citizens can also register their interest to be a host through this scheme.
Please see resources below and subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date with any new developments, support groups and events taking place in Milton Keynes.
Information for Ukrainian Refugees:
- British Red Cross: Providing support for Ukrainian nationals in the UK, including those who have recently arrived to the UK.
- Connection Support: Charity working in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire providing support to refugees from Ukraine.
- Ukrainian Institute London: Advice for settling in the UK.
- UK Government Welcome Guide: Guide for arriving in the UK with option to change the language in the top right of the screen.
- UK Government Recognised Providers: UK Government Guidance on organisations who can help guests find sponsors in the UK
- Reset: Official partners for UK Homes for Ukraine, offer resources and support including advice for driving in the UK.
- Welcome MK: Supporting refugees and hosts in Milton Keynes
Information for Hosts and Sponsors:
- Sponsorship guidance: UK Government guidance for sponsors.
- UK Government Recognised Providers: UK Government Guidance on organisations who can help UK Citizens to become sponsors.
- Guidance for organisations offering employment to people arriving from Ukraine
- Reset Toolkit: Homes for Ukraine Toolkit for hosts.
- Answers to questions about Homes for Ukraine
- Sanctuary Foundation: Free training and support for hosts of Ukrainian refugees, including advice for supporting people living in rural & semi-rural areas of the UK.
- Welcome MK: Supporting refugees and hosts in Milton Keynes
- Luton Airport Hub: Article about the Hub which has been set up for arrivals at Luton Airport.
- Looking After Babies & Children
Information for Groups/Organisations:
- The Sanctuary Course: Sanctuary Foundation are offering a free e-learning course for groups/organisations working to support Ukrainian refugees in the UK.
- MK Community Foundation: Providing small grant funding for groups supporting Ukrainian refugees. Applications are processed through their ‘small grant’ funding portal.
- Community Action:MK: Coordinated Response: We are currently providing an opportunity for group to come together to ensure that the response to the Ukrainian war in Milton Keynes is coordinated and there are resources and support for all aspects of care that may be needed. Please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- UK Government Guidance for Matching Organisations: UK Government Guidance for voluntary & Community sector organisations looking to responsibly facilitate matches between sponsors and guests.
Translating & Interpreting:
- Clear Voice: Official Government partner for the Homes for Ukraine scheme. Clear Voice offer 24/7 telephone and video interpreting services for charities.
- thebigword: thebigword are donating 5000 minutes of telephone interpreting services to groups supporting Ukrainian refugees.
- Charity Translators: Offering a range of links and resources to support for Ukrainian
- Comprehensive Guide for Living in the UK: A guide for life in the UK has been created by Ukrainian’s living in the country. The website is regularly updated and offers key information as well as updates on the government Visa schemes.
- Healthprom Cultural Sensitivity Sheets: Healthprom mainly operate in former Soviet Countries and have produced short comprehensive cultural sensitivity guides. The guides are available in English, Ukrainian and Russian and cover topics such as religion, home comforts, interpersonal differences, and attitudes to LGBT communities.
- Ukraine Parenting Response: Set up by Oxford University with WHO, UNICEF, UNHCR and other partners, offers resources and evidence-based advice to support parents and families affected by the war in Ukraine. Resources are available to download from the website and can be accessed in English, Ukrainian and Russian.
- Help Ukraine BAMK: A facebook group which has been created to support hosts and refugees arriving to Bedford, Aylesbury or Milton Keynes.