Community Action: MK have been working closely with other VCSE organisations and the NHS (the Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes Clinical Commissioning Group [BLMKCCG] and Central North West London Trust [CNWL], provider of mental health and community health services in MK, to develop a Milton Health Alliance to help implement the Community Mental Health Transformation Plan for Milton Keynes.
Community Mental Health Transformation is happening across the country. The aim is to provide integrated support as close to home as possible.
Here in Milton Keynes the plan which has been developed has a vision for adults and older adults with severe mental illness to lead their recovery, surrounded by their families, carers, and social networks and supported in their local community. You can find out more about the Milton Keynes plan here.
The aim of the Mental Health Alliance is to help make this happen and the NHS see the VCSE as a vital partner in designing and delivering Mental Health Support in Milton Keynes.
Below is the proposed structure for the Alliance, co-produced between the NHS and some of the key local VCSE partners. The work is currently centred around the three main workstreams, which are: Complex Emotional Needs, Primary Care Network Hubs and Eating Disorders but this will extend over time to include Young Adults, Older Adults and Rehab.
You can find more information about the 3 workstreams here.
If you would like to find out more about the mental health services across Milton Keynes, contact Nav Ranautta, Clinical Effectiveness Coordinator ((Milton Keynes Mental Health Services)) at CNWL here.
How to get involved:
We are calling on all local groups and organisations to join this collaborative initiative to help shape how the Alliance develops going forward, working towards the following aims:
- To develop a Mental Health Alliance to integrate the VCSE into the local Community Mental Health Transformation Plan
- Support the local VCSE organisations, so they are better equipped to participate in the Transformation Plan.
- Gain a greater understanding of how the VCSE can support the future years of the Transformation Plan.
- To co-create of a process to commission or grant-fund VCSE organisations within the alliance, through collaborative plan making and avoiding competitive grants processes
No matter how big or small your organisation is (and whether you are an unincorporated community group or a registered charity), and you do not need to provide mental health related services or activities – any local groups or organisations that support the local residents in MK through a range of activities and services are encouraged to join the Alliance and help co-produce it.
If you are interested in joining the Alliance, or finding out more about it, please contact Anna at email@example.com or complete this short form to express your interest in being involved. We will also be posting updates about the initiative on this page and through our weekly newsletter.
Visit our Signposting Channels page to find a list of local organisations and services in MK related to mental health. We are hoping that the work and collaboration as part of the Alliance will help us build up this list of local mental health services in Milton Keynes. We are also keen to hear from organisations that offer services, so please do get in touch if you would like to be listed – email firstname.lastname@example.org.
See our Information Sheet with details of the support available for groups and organisations that are supporting people affected by ill mental health, or are struggling with mental health difficulties
- Thursday 27th May 2021 – we held an information session for the local VCSE groups, which was focused on exploring the principles and values that should underpin how the Alliance is being co-developed. You can see the notes from the session here.
- Thursday 8th July 2021 – we teamed up with NCVO to run a session dedicated to the principles outlined in the ‘Rebalancing the Relationship’ report, and explored ways of creating an effective and collaborative funding process that could be applied to the work of the Alliance. We will be sharing the notes from the discussion, but you can see some of the feedback and notes on the jamboard here.
- September 2021: date tbc: the next Alliance meeting: to discuss the governance and priorities.
Reading List &
Please follow this link to see the recent publications, articles and other resources related to the topic of mental health.