Community Action: MK have been working closely with other VCSE organisations and the NHS (the Bedfordshire, Luton and Milton Keynes Clinical Commissioning Group [BLMKCCG] and Central North West London Trust [CNWL], provider of mental health and community health services in MK, to develop a Mental Health Alliance to help implement the Community Mental Health Transformation Plan for Milton Keynes.
Mental Health Community Transformation Plans
Community Mental Health Transformation is happening across the country. The aim is to provide integrated support as close to home as possible.
The local plan for Milton Keynes has a vision for adults and older adults with severe mental illness to lead their recovery, surrounded by their families, carers, and social networks and supported in their local community. You can find out more about the Milton Keynes plan here.
Mental Health Alliance: the structure
The aim of the Mental Health Alliance is to help put the local plan in practice and to help the NHS see the VCSE as a vital partner in designing and delivering Mental Health Support in Milton Keynes.
This diagram on the left illustrates the proposed structure for the Alliance, co-produced between the NHS and some of the key local VCSE partners.You can also see the diagram here
The work is currently centred around the three main workstreams, which are:
- Complex Emotional Needs
- Primary Care Network Hubs
- Eating Disorders
However, this will extend over time to include Young Adults, Older Adults and Rehab.You can find more information about the 3 workstreams here.
If you would like to find out more about the mental health services across Milton Keynes, contact Nav Ranautta, Clinical Effectiveness Coordinator ((Milton Keynes Mental Health Services)) at CNWL here.
The aims: who can get involved?
We are inviting and encouraging all local voluntary and community groups and organisations in MK to join this collaborative initiative. You will have a chance to help shape how the Alliance develops going forward, working towards the following aims:
- To help integrate the VCSE into the local Community Mental Health Transformation Plan
- Support the local VCSE organisations, so they are better equipped to participate in the Transformation Plan (e.g. this might be help around funding, governance or representation skills)
- Gain a greater understanding of how the VCSE can support the future years of the Transformation Plan
- To co-create a process to commission or grant-fund VCSE organisations involved in the alliance: through collaborative plan-making and avoiding competitive grants processes
No matter how big or small your organisation is (e.g.whether you are an unincorporated community group or a registered charity), and you do not need to provide mental health related services or activities – any local groups or organisations that support the local residents in MK through a range of activities and services and are well-placed to represent their lived experiences are encouraged to join the Alliance and help co-produce it.
How to get involved:
If you are interested in joining the Alliance, or finding out more about it, please contact Anna at email@example.com or complete this short form to express your interest in being involved. We will also be posting updates about the initiative on this page and through our weekly newsletter.
Local Mental Health Services:
Visit our Signposting Channels page to find a list of local organisations and services in MK related to mental health. We are hoping that the work and collaboration as part of the Alliance will help us build up this list of local mental health services in Milton Keynes. We are also keen to hear from organisations that offer services, so please do get in touch if you would like to be listed – email firstname.lastname@example.org.
See our Information Sheet with details of the support available for groups and organisations that are supporting people affected by ill mental health, or are struggling with mental health difficulties
- Thursday 27th May 2021 – we held an information session for the local VCSE groups, which was focused on exploring the principles and values that should underpin how the Alliance is being co-developed. You can see the notes from the session here.
- Thursday 8th July 2021 – we teamed up with NCVO to run a session dedicated to the principles outlined in the ‘Rebalancing the Relationship’ report, and explored ways of creating an effective and collaborative funding process that could be applied to the work of the Alliance. We will be sharing the notes from the discussion, but you can see some of the feedback and notes on the jamboard here.
- 30th September 2021 10am-12pm (online): the next Alliance meeting: to discuss the governance and priorities. Please email Anna email@example.com if you would like to join the meeting.
Reading List & Resources
Please follow this link to see the recent publications, articles and other resources related to the topic of mental health.